National Night Out Dance Party featuring DJs Brother Charles and Nomadik. August 5th at 7pm
Athene Wilson RESCHEDULED for August 12th! 6PM in the Playstead Ballfields.
Elma Lewis Playhouse in the Park is a beloved Franklin Park institution with concerts and performances throughout the summer. The current Playhouse emulates the original summer series brought to the community from 1966-1978 by Elma Lewis, renowned Roxbury arts leader. Located in the footprint of the Overlook Shelter ruins, the Playhouse brought national musicians to the Franklin Park stage, including Duke Ellington who opened the season every fourth of July weekend until his death.
- How to find the Playhouse
- History of the Playhouse
- Playhouse stories - send us yours!
- The Playhouse today
Sponsoring outdoor concerts is expensive! To make sure you and your friends can continue to enjoy concerts, right in your very own park, please make a contribution today.
Huge Thanks To Our Donors:
- FPC’s Boston Marathon Charity Team
- Boston Cultural Council, a local agency which is funded by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, administrated by the Mayor’s Office of Arts, Tourism, and Special Events.
- Boston R.O.C.K.S
- Citizens Bank
- My Summer in the City, The Boston Foundation
- Mabel Louise Riley Foundation
- And many local park and arts supporters
The Playhouse is presented by the Franklin Park Coalition, the National Center of Afro-American Artists, and the City of Boston’s Parks Department & ParkARTS