Park Permits

Mile with Sarah

If you’d like to reserve an area of the park for a family picnic, a softball game, a fundraising walk, a school field day, a 5K run, ultimate frisbee, or another activity, you can request specific areas with a special event or an athletic permit. The Boston Parks Department issues the permit. You can reach them directly at 617-961-3050.

Here’s how to apply:

  1. Visit the Parks Department Site Reservation page, found here
  2. Click what type of event you are hosting
  3. Find the location in the park if you’re not sure what area you can reserve
  4. Follow the on-site instructions

The special event permit application deadline is posted as March 1st, but the Parks Department will continue to accept applications through the year. Don’t let the deadline deter you!

Boston Public School teams get first priority for fields and courts, then Boston-based youth leagues, then adult leagues. Athletic permit applications are technically due February 1st, but if fields are not booked applications will be considered on a rolling basis.

Franklin Park is the only city park where you are allowed to barbecue, but you must bring your own grill and supplies. Look for red barrel at picnic sites to dispose of hot coals.

Do you need a permit? Most events of 50 people or more require a parks permit. If you want to be sure the spot is reserved for your group, you should get a permit. If you have any complicated components – a bounce house, amplified sound, or need to drive a car off the main road, you definitely need a permit.

Click here for a list of sites you can reserve with a permit – read descriptions and locations to find the best spot in Franklin Park for your event or game.








Print Friendly, PDF & Email